July 14th is Bastille Day – at least that is what it is called outside France. Here is is called le quatores julliet or la Fête nationale (the national holiday). The day commemorates the start of the French Revolution in 1789 when a group of people stormed the Bastille, a fortification used as a prison. While there were only 7 prisoners in the fortification at the time, it marked the end of an absolute monarchy. (I know it is more complex than that, but that's the simplest version.)
The day is celebrated here primarily as a military
commemoration. Today there was a huge military parade in Paris which remembered in a particular way those who
fought in WWI. (This year marks the 100th anniversary of the start of the First
World War)
While there are events happening elsewhere, it is pretty
quiet in Rouen. There were a few people out and about, but not many. There were
a few flags flying, but not as many as I thought.
The flag near Notre Dame Cathedral.
According to one blog the flag is considered somewhat sacred here - it is not put out on lawns or overly used at celebrations like this. Too many flags being waved has a "right-wing" connotation.
I was expecting to see something like in Claude Monet's painting of the 14th July he did in 1878.
Not so. I saw this painting this week at the museum. More of that later.
There may be fireworks in town, but sometimes they take place the night before. I thought I heard fireworks last night close by. At the time I thought it was some world cup fans celebrating Germany's win. Maybe no.
The day is a bank
holiday in France which means that most things are closed and people use
the time to visit family and friends. Falling on a Monday this year means that
it is a long weekend. Roadways were busy on Friday and Saturday with people
heading to favourite summer locations --- think beach.
Here is Rouen, there is no beach. So what do do?? You make
one.
I saw them stockpiling sand near the bridge I often cross going into the
city centre and wondered what it would be used for. Now I know. It is the next
best thing to a beach.
There are activities for the kids.
A library that provides books for adults to read under an
umbrella.
And there are the next best thing to a lounging chaise for
catching the rays.
The place if free, but will be closed on July 14th.
One place that was open was the Museum of Fine Arts (le
musée des beaux arts). Built between 1880 and 1888, it houses both a permanent and temporary exhibits. I came here on Saturday and spent a wonderful time seeing the temporary exhibit on Cathedrals as well as the permanent collection.
I didn’t bring my camera thinking that photos would be
forbidden. Turns out pictures can be taken of the permanent exhbit. I saw a
notice that said the museum would be open and free to the public on Monday
(today) so I decided to come back and take pictures of some of my favourite
pieces.
Claude Monet:
Renoir
Sisley Caravaggio:
I look for some interesting details that artists put in their works. A couple of things caught my eye here.
This painting was completed in 1781 and is entitled: "Canadian and his wife crying at the grave of their child." Obviously a First Nation's man and a European (French?) woman.
The look Joseph is giving to the donkey in this nativity scene. You can't tell from this detail, but there are angels and shepherds in the painting as well. I can just hear Joseph saying: "oh man, what are we in for?"
Ferocious dogs.
There is a small park attached to the museum. There were a family of swans in the pond:
Classes are going well. There are many days when I don’t think I’m learning anything. I seem to forget so much of what we do in class from day to day. But then I watched a program on the internet that I saw in Québec (Forchette and sac à dos: a Fork and a Backpack). Lo and behold, I could follow most of the dialogue this time. Not perfectly, but much more than in Quèbec. All is not lost.
As I mentioned, at the end of each week we have an
evaluation by the instructor. This past week my instructor said that I use a
lot of english words and pronunciations but that I was motivated enough that I
should be able to correct this. I hope so.
One thing that I
definitely have to do is speak out loud more. I have been doing lots of
reading, but in my head. I get the sense, but in not reading out loud, I have
not kept pace with other students who read well. There are words and sounds
that are very hard for me to pronounce, but I will keep at it.I found an internet site that includes interactive reading. I can read along with the recording while reading the text.
This week, because of the holiday, we are one day short. Our
class schedule for the rest of the week will make up for the lost time. That
means long days.
I asked myself the other day what I needed to do while I was
here, so that I wouldn’t go home saying “isn’t a shame I didn’t try this.” The
answer was simple: cooking. There is a place that gives workshops on local
cuisine. I signed up for this coming Saturday: pastries. We’ll see what comes
of that.


















No comments:
Post a Comment