This weekend I went to two places on my wish list: Dieppe
and Claude Monet’s garden in Giverny. It ended up that I had a train ticket
good for two days, so could go both places for one price (18 euros!).
Claude Monet’s garden was first. Giverny is less than an
hour from here going toward Paris. Mi-Hyang, one of the students from the
school came with me. The day was perfect: partly cloudy and not too hot.
Monet has been a favourite painter of mine for a long time.
I have a book of his paintings and I had several prints of his paintings in my house.
When I was in Paris I made sure to see his water lilies paintings at the Musée
l’Orangerie as well as his other works at the Musée d’Orsay.
There is a shuttle bus that goes from the train station in
Vernon to Giverny – all of 10 minutes away. (Maybe Vernon BC is named after the
same village?) There was quite the line of people getting tickets for the
garden. We must have waited 20 minutes to get through. Once we did, however,
the gardens were enchanting:
The visit included a tour the house. We were not allowed to
take pictures inside but I found a couple to give some sense of the space.
When I was in his original studio (above), I was quite moved to
think of all the work that he had done in that place. If the walls could only
talk! The walls were filled with replicas of his works, but the furniture was
original. You could see, for example, the wear on the arms of the chaise
lounge.
Such a good day.
I went to Dieppe on Sunday. It, too, is only about one hour
away by train. I arrived in the morning and found the tourist information
bureau first thing for a map. I knew that Mass at St. Jacques church was at
11:15, so I had time to wander and take pictures of the port..
The cliffs…
The entrance to the port…
where there was a lot of fishing happening...
And not just the young...
And the beach. The
beach is not of sand, but of small pebbles.
And the castle.
The church was quite impressive.
It took over 300 years to build - started at the end of the 12th century and completed at the beginning of the 16th. I don't think that it had been destroyed during the wars, but I did notice what looked like bullet holes on the walls.
Inside there was quite a crowd of people of all ages gathered for Mass,
including novice French speakers (easily spotted when they used the supplied
worship aid for all the responses…).
I was quite taken with the kites flying overhead.
Every
other year in Dieppe there is a large kite festival held in September, and this
is the year. The ones overhead are some new and old kites
After Mass I wandered around and in the first little side
chapel I came to I found this…
I started to cry. It’s really true. The Demers family came
from here.
The plaque says, in essence, [with a few additions in square
brackets] “The Demers family pay their respects to Jean Dumay, Miotte Lecombe,
his first wife, and Barbe Mauger, his second wife, father and mother of
Etienne, André and Jean Dumay, members of the family of the country [region] of
Ceux at the start of the 17th century. The father and his sons left
Dieppe to emigrate to New France [Quebec] in 1643. The three sons are the
ancestors of 12 generations of Demers descendants in [North] America today.
This plaque was unveiled September 20, 1998, as part of a voyage organized by
the Demers Family Association.”
“Caux” refers the to the type of rock that dominates in the
area: limestone - calcium carbonate. This ancient territory (pays) was linked
by the geography, language and culture, and included Dieppe, Fécamp, St.
Valery-en-Caux, Étretat and Le Havre. The people in this region were called
“Caletes” or “Caleti” which means the hard/courageous people. You had to be to
live among the cliffs making your living from the sea.
In Mom’s family history book, it says that the family
originated a little north of Dieppe in the seaside village of Le Tréport. It is
located at the cliffs that you can see in the distance in this photo.
If possible, I would like to travel there as well.
Over the generations the family name changed in Canada from
Dumay to Dumet and finally Demers, which can mean “of the sea” (de mer).
The chapel had a few other plaques of other families that
immigrated to Canada.
The chapel itself commemorates Frs. Antoine Daniel and Jean de Lalande, two Jesuit priests who were born in Dieppe and who traveled to Canada in the early 1600's and worked among the Huron people. They were killed in
1648 during a raid of the Huron village by the Mohawks. (Five years after the Dumay's arrived in Quebec.) They are commemorated by
the church as two of the Canadian Martyrs, along with 6 other companion Jesuits.
Dieppe has close ties to Canada. This monument names some of the links.
Not only was it one of the
main ports for ships of settlers traveling to Canada in the 17th
century, is also the place of the a disastrous World War II raid against the
German army that claimed the lives of hundreds of Canadian soldiers: the August
19, 1942, Dieppe Raid.
There is a museum commemorating the event.
I watched a movie there that had actual film footage of the
event as well as commentary by those who survived. There were massive
casualties. One of the only good things that came from it, was that the Allies
learned it was too costly to try and take a established port. The landing on
the Normandy beaches was the result of that lesson. Rather than try to take a
port, they took a long stretch of beach and brought their own harbour and port
with them, fabricated in England and ferried over by ships. Actually, they
built two harbours: Mulberry A and B – one at Omaha Beach and one at Gold
Beach. Unfortunately, there was a terrible storm on June 19th and
the port at Omaha Beach was destroyed while the one on Gold Beach suffered damaged. Gold
beach was repaired with some of the surviving pieces from Omaha Beach. The
repaired harbour was used for 8 months to supply the war with soldiers,
equipment and supplies.
The people of Dieppe have never forgotten that raid. Two
years later when the town was finally liberated, it was Canadian soldiers who
came and liberated the town.
The plaque at Canada Square commemorating the events says
essentially “On August 19, 1942, on the beach of Dieppe, our Canadian cousins
traced by their blood the path of our final liberation, thus foreshadowing
their victorious return September 1, 1944.”
Canada Square...




























Wow - another great post. The cliffs there look a lot like the cliffs of Dover. The harbour in your pics looks beautiful!
ReplyDeleteI think the cliffs are made of the same rock. The harbor was quite lovely. I debated about taking a fishing voyage, but it might have been too completed being from Canada. I find it interesting that I am learning more about my own country from being here. I guess it proves the spider web analogy...we are all connected.
Delete