Family

Family
Familles Demers: De Mers! De Foi! De Fidelite!

Sunday, 9 February 2014

Fire and Ice

I went back to the Old City to watch the canoe races on the St. Lawrence River. Trouble is, this time of year there is a lot of ice on the river...I mean a lot.

pas de problem! If you can't paddle, you push.



I can't imagine the energy it takes to do that!

Walking back through the Old City, I came across a few more ice sculptures that I missed before.




And then I came across a doorway inviting people in to watch the glassblowers at work.

From this....


and this:



to this.

The pair opened the store in 2012 - Les Trois Corbeaux (The Three Crows). There is some amazing work in here.

The shop was near the old Demers house. I took more pictures of it from the ground floor entrance on Rue Champlain - where it is a beavertails and poutine shop. (I had fries and gravy...no cheese curds.. which was quite good).

To the entrance up on Rue Petit-Champlain where the third floor is a jewelry store.

I stopped by an art gallery near by and wouldn't you know it, there was a painting of that same scene on rue Champlain!
The artist is Normand Boisvert. The Galerie Perreault had several of his pieces and works by other Quebec artists.




As much as I loved them all, they were a little out of my price range

Further along is a shop that sells hand painted silk scarves - just what I was looking for. Le Soierie Huo. Beautiful work.

So I also bought one made from very fine wool. Something tells me I might  be back :-)

2 comments:

  1. So this Demers house is your ancient ancestral house?? Pretty cool to find that! Have you gone inside yet? Love those paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did go inside the lower portion of the Demers house - a poutine shop. The upper portion is a jewelry story. It was quite something to find the painting of the same scene. There are times when I think it is a sign I should buy something...."oh, look, just what you wanted!" But it would cost a good portion of my spending in France. Maybe if a win a lottery :)

    ReplyDelete