Family

Family
Familles Demers: De Mers! De Foi! De Fidelite!

Saturday, 22 February 2014

The Ice Hotel


The day I moved into the apartment, I met a man downstairs who was one of the carvers for the Ice Hotel. He told me the Hotel was opening in a few days. I knew I wanted to go at some point, but not right away. I'm glad I waited. Today the weather was perfect. After cold, snow, and a little freezing rain, today the sun came out in the morning and it was mild... +2 or so.

Two of us from school booked a "behind the scenes" tour (in English, I'm sorry to say -- my French is not good enough yet to understand much of what people say to me).

Julie was our guide:

She explained how the structure was built. It takes approximately 5 weeks. They start in December and needs it to be -5 fairly consistently. Although there can be a lot of snow at that time, they have a snow making machine to make their own in order to produce snow of the right consistency. It has to be wet enough to hold together.

Depending on the design, a number of stainless steel frames are put in place for one section at a time. These frames are on skis and can be raised or lowered.

A temporary wooden wall is build around them. Snow is packed around the steel frames and the wooden walls ensure the snow stays put. After 24 hours the structure become solid and the steel frames are lowered and slid out of the structure. The frames are then moved to another section of the hotel. The wall of the structure can be 4 feet thick at the bottom and 2 feet thick at the top. They don't as much snow on top because of the extra weight.

This picture above shows the different styles they use. the one on the right is the strongest.
Once the building is complete - the ice carvers and snow sculptures get to work.

And the finished product is this:


Each year there is a new theme. This year's theme is mythology from around the world. The place is amazing!


There are carvings everywhere.


This was one of my favourites from one of the bedrooms.


There are two bars. The hotel can host about 400 people for a party. Drinks are served in ice glasses.
 

As part of the tour we got to make our own glass.

And then take it to the bar for a drink. I had a maple whiskey (again!)

It was a little too cold for a gin and tonic - but I was quite interested on how they keep their gin cold - yes, it is embedded in a chunk of ice. I don't know that we have this brand back home.

There is also a chapel and they host multiple weddings.

Today two weddings took place today. We were there to see one wedding party at the end of the ceremony.

Different bedrooms pick up on the mythology theme. Some of my favourites were: the arctic spa where there is a door to a hot-tub outside.
 

Tibet and Egypt
 


A few I would not consider at all... How would you like to wake up and see this?
 

Or this:

Inside the building the temperature doesn't change that much - between -5 and -2. Some of the rooms have fire places - more for ambiance than heat. People who stay overnight are given a sleeping bag and sheet. There are heated bathrooms in a different building nearby.

There is also a small cafeteria. We had hot soup before taking a final look around. The hotel closes by March 23rd or so. It takes until August to melt completely. There are youtube sites that show how the hotel is made and the different themes that have been used each year. It was a great visit.

I am so enjoying my classes as well. I am picking up more every week. We had quite a lively discussion in class. In order to improve my pronunciation and oral comprehension, I've signed up for private lessons for the next few weeks in addition to the regular class time. When I start dreaming in French, I will know that I have crossed a threshold! :-)


 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Susan

    So how much do rooms there cost?

    Bernadette

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It varies - one site I saw had a "special" at $200.00 per person double occupancy - that's for one of the theme rooms. Another package was close to $500.00 per person, double occupancy. I didn't see prices for a regular room with just the (ice) bed. The specials have a back-up room at the Sheridan for the same night - in case the person/couple can't last the night. So in essence you are paying for two rooms.

      Delete