Family

Family
Familles Demers: De Mers! De Foi! De Fidelite!

Sunday, 13 April 2014

The unexpected

I sent everything off for my student visa: applications, acceptance letters, accommodation reservations, bank statements, yada, yada. I heard back on Friday that my request was denied because the course in Rouen is only for three months. I was not expecting this. I had planned to register for another program once figured out where else I wanted to go afterwards. Apparently that is not an option. So now I’m registering also for a program in Paris. I hope all the paperwork can be completed in time to have my visa before I leave Québec.

This week I also received two unexpected invitations, both from Lucie Painchaud.
 
The first was an evening of performances in conjunction with a First Nation colloquium sponsored by the University of Laval. The evening started with a few film shorts by Wapikoni Mobile on issues being faced by First Nations and Innuit. The films documented some of the struggles they face in the north as well as with the tar sands in Alberta.

This was followed by performances by storytellers, poets and musicians.

Joan Grégorie, a Inuit storyteller from northern Labrador.


 
Miaskom Sipi Flamand, fluist,  Atikamekw Nation, Manawan, Quebec


 
Marie-Andrée Gill, Inuit poet, from Mashteuiatsh, Quebec


 
Natasha Kanapé Fontaine, Inuit poet. Incredibly powerful young woman. I saw her again on Saturday in Montreal.


 
Sakay Ottawa, guitarist, singer/song writer, Atikamekw Nation, Manawan, Quebec



The second event was a conference at the Jesuit Centre for Justice and Faith in Montréal on issues regarding the autonomy of First Nations. It was all in French. I understood about 40% of what people said but it was enough to understand something of the issues here. I went with Lucie and she filled in some of the blanks throughout the day.


Chad Katsenhake Diabo, a Mohawk from Kahnawake, opened the day and welcomed people to the Mohawk traditional territory. He offered a prayer and a smudging ceremony. Lucie and I had the opportunity to speak with him at lunchtime (in English!). He is quite a remarkable young man.

The day was divided into three segments, each with panelists reviewing a particular aspect of the issue and then time for questions from the group.

Renée Dupuis and Chief Gilbert Dominque started off the presentations by reviewing some of the work around aboriginal rights.
 
She is a lawyer who has been an advocate for Aboriginal peoples since the Royal Commission on Aboriginal peoples in the 1990’s. She spoke of the different stages or frameworks to native rights that have developed over time. Chief Dominque gave an overview of some of the negotiations and outlined some of the principles that were so important for aboriginals: territory, autonomy, resources. The man in the middle is the moderator.

Eva Ottawa and Viviane Michel spoke from their perspective as leaders.
 
Viviane Michel is the president of the Femmes autochtone du Québec and Eva Ottawa is a former Grand Chief of the Atikamekw Nation. The woman in the middle is the moderator.

Chad Diabo, Melissa Mollen Dupuis and Natasha Kanapé Fontaine were the final panalists.
 
 They are all young leaders in their communities, and all making a difference. They spoke from their perspective as young people. Melissa and Natacha are active in Idle no More. Natasha again gave a very powerful presentation through her poetry. She received a standing ovation from the participants. I found a you tube video of her. While she is more powerful in person, the video is also very good.

What came across from these events was the similarities in the experiences here and other parts of Canada. The affects of colonialism on the people as well as their determination to forge a different path for their children and communities. Returning to Spirit has a place in this for sure. Lucie is working hard to start the workshops here.

Montréal was very warm: 14 degrees. No snow. So different than Québec, even though we are only 2 ½ hours away. For the first time, I did not have to wear a coat outside. Back in Quebec City, however, we received more snow today and now it is raining.

An unexpected sight in Montréal….


This was the washroom at the Jesuit Centre for Justice and Faith. Oh my. When it is full of people waiting in line for one of the 3 stalls, and you can’t tell who is doing what its not so bad; but I would be a little self-conscious if it was just me in there with a lone male. Old fashioned? I don’t know.

Today a couple of the students came over to make something familiar from home (Brazil).
 
They were saying in class last week that they are missing some of the foods from home and that they were not able to use the kitchen’s in at their host family’s. I told them to come to my place. They were more than happy to do that. I got a lesson in how to make brigadeiro, a type of fudge. Very simple (sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder and butter) and very good.
 
Ingrid and Marie Therese making brigadeiro. They went away happy with their treats.


 


 
Earlier this week we were also invited to a birthday party of another student originally from Brazil and who has now settled in Québec. Everyone there was Brazilian except Deanne and me. Good fun.


The school has made a few more changes in the schedule. For some, the changes are hard. For others, not so bad or even better. I’m in the last category. I like Catherine, our new teacher. She is very organized and we have learned three other tenses. I’m now up to 6.

With this being Holy Week, there are extra liturgies with the Triduum. At the last choir practice we went through all the different pieces - all traditional that the choir knows well. I recorded it and took pictures of the music so I can practice at home. Joining the choir has been very good for me. I still can’t follow everything the choir director says, but it's better and I follow what everyone else does.  

Today was Passion Sunday. Another unexpected sight: If you wanted a palm branch they were on sale - $2 for a small frond and $5 for a large. That was a first for me.

I invited Deanne, Ingrid and Marie Therese over for Easter dinner. I think scallop potatoes will be on the menu. It’s not traditional for them, but I’m sure they will be a hit.

A busy week ahead.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Susan, you're really getting proficient! Not only are you doing your class stuff, but you're venturing out to all kinds of happenings way beyond the world of the classroom. Regardless of how much you understand, this is a really bit step in being comfortable in the language and the culture.

    I hope all the visa stuff gets sorted out - quickly. What's the program in Paris?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I decided against Paris. The language program was at the Sorbonne. The price was prohibitive and I thought the class size was too large. The school has an excellent reputation academically but is bigger than what I want.. My next move is to extend my time in Rouen until mid-October. I like the smaller classes and the smaller city. As well the school French in Normandy has an excellent reputation. It's not cheap, but in the end it makes the most sense.

      Delete
  2. Wow... palms for sale??? That is weird. I wonder if they'll sell candle tapers at the Easter Vigil...

    Sounds like your visa is getting sorted out. I had to look Rouen up on the map - nice forest park to the west!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Visa not quite sorted out yet, but I'm hoping soon. Yeah, when I saw the palms for sale, I thought budgets must be tight with fewer people in the churches and huge buildings to maintain. I also remembered how we would use pussy willows (and thought of you) and how that would not work here because there are none yet. Bizarre winter.

      Delete