Yesterday I took part in the commemoration of the 20th anniversary of the genocide against the Tutsi in Rwanda. It is estimated that 800,000 people were massacred in about 100 days.
Lucie was attending and invited me to take part with her. I did not understand everything – or even most of what people were saying, but what I did experience was the obvious pain people revealed as they shared their stories.
The
word Kwibuku means “remember” and the event was part of a worldwide
commemoration. The event began with a Mass celebrated in a chapel at the
University of Laval.
All the music was Rwandan lead by a choir in very colourful dress.
All the music was Rwandan lead by a choir in very colourful dress.
Afterward
in the grand hall, there was a ceremony of light. The light overcomes the darkness.
People
recounted personal stories, or those of their family members.
A
brother and sister spoke of what it was like to lose everyone in your family. One
young man wrote a song about his experience.
There were a lot of tears shed and hugs shared.
I found out later that both Hutu and Tutsi were at this gathering in Québec. The community if finding ways to heal and work together.
Later at home I watched a clip of what the President of Rwanda said during this year's commemoration in Rwanda. He said that the genocide was carried out by Rwandans (Hutu majority ) against other Rwandans (Tutsi minority). At the same time, others in the international community played a role turning a blind eye to what was happening. Lt-General Roméo Dallaire did his best to get the world to pay attention, we didn’t.
For
me, it was a stark reminder of the Triduum that we just celebrated and the
light of the new Paschal fire. Pope Francis made the statement that the
resurrection is not like the happy ending in a movie. It reveals first what God
takes on of our own evil against another, and not giving back in kind.
Easter
was very different for me this year. It was good to be in the choir. Even
through I didn’t know any songs, I learned quickly and the choir members are so
friendly. The liturgies were so-so. I so missed my old parish!
I
was quite taken with the social that was provided after the Easter Vigil.
The tables were set up in the church between the altar and the upper sanctuary. It reminded me of that fact that the original churches were often places of refuge for people as well as places of worship.
The tables were set up in the church between the altar and the upper sanctuary. It reminded me of that fact that the original churches were often places of refuge for people as well as places of worship.
I
had some of the students over for dinner on Easter Sunday. They were missing
their families and it is was good to be together. Ingrid and Marie Theresa made
brigadero – a Brazilian candy.
We had salmon, scalloped potatoes, lasagna and Deanne brought dessert. So good!
We had salmon, scalloped potatoes, lasagna and Deanne brought dessert. So good!
Saying
goodbye
The
school put on a potluck this past Friday. We ate well. Several students were
finishing up this week.
Deanne finished her studies this week. She is such a good student. She became more and more confident in her studies over the months. She is a real inspiration. We had a lot of fun studying together and exploring a few things in town.
Deanne,
Ingrid, Marie Theresa and I went out for dinner to celebrate Deanne’s last day.
We went to a well known restaurant in town “Chez Victor”
– serves incredible burgers, fries and homemade mayonaise of different varieties. You can have burgers made from beef, boar, deer, lamb, salmon, chicken, veggies/nuts or tofu. Mine was salmon, the others chose chicken.
– serves incredible burgers, fries and homemade mayonaise of different varieties. You can have burgers made from beef, boar, deer, lamb, salmon, chicken, veggies/nuts or tofu. Mine was salmon, the others chose chicken.
Earlier in the week several of us went out for pub night.
Walking
the hills of Québec keeps some of the pounds off, but many say they have gained
weight since starting studies.
In
case you think I’m not studying with all this carrying on. Have no fear, I am
working hard. I found a few new resources.
And
I love my white board.
This is a dictation I did at home and then corrected. Still lots of errors but I can see improvement in what I’m retaining.
This is a dictation I did at home and then corrected. Still lots of errors but I can see improvement in what I’m retaining.
More
bad news from the French Consulate. The won’t let me apply through Montréal. I
have to go through Vancouver. I told them that I won’t be in BC until just
before I leave, and I’ve been in Québec since January, but no go. I don’t know
why they didn’t say something the first time they had my application. So now I
have to wait to get my documents back from Montréal (hopefully tomorrow), and
send them to Vancouver. I’m not giving up hope that it will go through.
Two
weeks left in Québec. The time has just flown by!




















You've had a busy time of it from the sounds of it. Rumour has it that Triduum at your old parish was so-so as well... How is the snow coming along out there? You guys still look like you're bundled up for winter? Didn't Quebec get the memo that spring came a month ago? When are you going to be in Vancouver??
ReplyDeleteBusy enough. Two weeks to go. I'm in the Vancouver airport to and from PG, unless I have to make a personal trip to the Consulate - here's hoping not. Spring is arriving ssssssslllllooooooowwwwwwwllllllyyyyyy. A little grass growing around the buildings, a little more being smoked in the parks. No flowers yet unless you count the plastic ones springing up on the restaurant patios. As soon as the snow cleared the sidewalks, the patio tables were out. Whose going to let a little cold and wind hamper drinking outdoors? Not the Quebecois! C'est la vie!
Delete