Yesterday was the music festival in France (la fête de la
musique). The country celebrates the start of summer with music playing everywhere:
in churches, in concert halls, in bars and pubs, and in the streets – all free.
I started with a organ and trumpet concert at the Abbatiale
Saint-Ouen
The Abbey itself is massive. The concert did not start here
until 4:00 so I had lots of time to take pictures.
The chairs you can hardly see are set up for the concert itself. There must have been 200 chairs set out.
The organists was excellent. The trumpet player, however,
had some good moments and others not so memorable. He seemed to take a bit of a
hiatus part way through. I didn’t know the pieces well enough to know if he
skipped out of some parts, or whether much of the music was for organ alone. It
was still very worth while taking part.
On my way to another venue at the city centre, I stopped by St.
Maclou and took more photos. The day was perfect. I loved this church in full sunlight.
There were a few people dancing in the streets next to the
church while DJ’s at the neighboring bar played music.
In the city centre there was lots happening. I sat outside
at one of the bars near the place where the Brazilian drummers were gathering.
The streets can be very narrow and some, like this one,
allow vehicle traffic. Cars move slowly and pedestrians move out of the way…eventually.
After the Brazilian drummers started to assemble and the people started to
gather around them, I saw three vehicles try to go down the same street. They
didn’t get very far until they were blocked by the crowds. One of the vehicles was
a city sanitation truck. He decided to back-up and try another route. The other
two cars, however, just stayed put and when the drummers moved off down the
street with their entourage, they followed very slowly behind.
I loved the music! I followed for a while and caught a
little of their music on video. (I tried to upload it, but couldn't)
There were tons of people out – families, young people, old
people… I walked back and stopped at a final band playing at the shopping
centre near where I live. All having a great time.
I’m glad I live in a quiet part of town. I can imagine that
the people played and danced outside into the wee hours of the morning.
Today, I went back to l’Eglise Jeanne d’Arc and there were three
baptisms and several First Communions (two of the children baptized were of an
age to also received First Communion – no confirmation for them though). The
church was full of families – all ages present. I like this community. The
people are friendly and all take part. The music is good. I understood much
more of the homily and the prayers today. Perhaps because the priest was
conscious of the children present so he use words I understood and spoke slowly
enough for me to catch what he was saying.
I came back to work on my verb conjugation – a never-ending
task. Today it was subjunctive verbs. I went through some of the prayers in the
misselette (the prayer book I use for the Mass) and found all the places where
the subjunctive was used. The subjunctive is used in the type of sentence where
you express a desire, a feeling, a request, an emotion… followed by “that”
(que). “I wish that you would help me.” Verb conjugation is one of the most
trying parts to the study, followed closely by sentence structure. I’m getting
better at seeing the patterns in the written texts, now to keep practicing in
my speech.
This week we are reviewing everything from the A-2 level and
there will be an exam at the end of the week. I think they spend about 12 weeks on each level. I was in A-2 for the last 2 weeks.I’m not sure I will be ready for
the B-1 level yet. We’ll see. Thursday I had another practice test for the DELF exam in October. I’ll see how I did next week. The school is very good about
following up with students. We have a journal that we complete every week for
the instructor to give comments.
One of the people I met, Kathy, finished on Friday. We had a
final sandwich in the park together before she heading to a conference and then
back home to Australia. I enjoyed meeting her. There are so many interesting people in the program –
of all age levels.







Bonjour, Susan! C'est aujourd'hui notre fête nationale, et je te souhaite une merveilluse journée! As-tu trouvé un drapeau candien dans votre coin?
ReplyDeleteIl fait très, très beau ici, mais en Ontario, ils anoncent les tornades. Héritage Canada a annulé les celebrations "on the hill" par peur des tempêtes violentes.
Au sud de Saskatchewan et près de la frontière avec Manitoba il faisait très mauvais- des énormes inodations suit aux grandes pluies - 14 cm dans deux jours.
Aren't the Abbeys amazing? Their role, I think, was as much cultural as religious, and they continue that to this day.
Don't give up on those verbs! They will come. And especially the subjunctive.I think I may have told you that it took me a whole year to say a prayer aloud because I was afraid I screw up the subjunctive ...
Here's one of mine these days: Pour que les chrétiens et chrétiennes au Moyen Orient puissent vivre en paix et sécurité. Nous te prions, Seigneur.
Bye for now. Keep enjoying your classes.
Bernadette
Oui - j'ai vu ca sur l'internet. Mon soeur a envoye des photos aussi. C'est dommage. Je me souviens tu me dis ton experience avec le subjonctif. C'est vrai. Maintenant j'utilise bien le present, le passe compose, l'imparfait, le futur, le futur proche, et - un peu - le conditionnel. Today is going to be a beautiful day. I am so grateful to be here.
Delete