The past two weeks have been lesson in “you’re not in
control.”
First, my cell phone was stolen as well as my purse (but not
my wallet, fortunately). I was buying groceries and when I got home I
discovered the two missing. I went back to the store but my French was not good
enough to make myself understood well. I asked for a brown purse (sac brun) and was
brought to a bag of prunes (sac de pruneau). Once I made myself understood, the
store clerk said he hadn’t see anything. The next couple of hour was taken up
with calling Rogers, having the phone put on a black list so that no one could
use it, and contacting the insurance company. Finding a phone booth to call was
a 15 minute walk to the shopping district in the neighborhood.
Second, was a trip to Mont St-Michel on Saturday with a
group from the school.
Lovely trip…beautiful place.(I will post pictures shortly) But as I made my way back to the meeting place to be picked up, one of the other students ran up to me talking very fast. I thought something was wrong. There was. I had misunderstood the time. We were to leave at 3:30 and I thought it was 5:30. I arrived back at the meeting place at 4:50 thinking I was 40 minutes early and I was 1 hour and 20 minutes late! They were very worried. I was so sorry I had caused such turmoil!
Lovely trip…beautiful place.(I will post pictures shortly) But as I made my way back to the meeting place to be picked up, one of the other students ran up to me talking very fast. I thought something was wrong. There was. I had misunderstood the time. We were to leave at 3:30 and I thought it was 5:30. I arrived back at the meeting place at 4:50 thinking I was 40 minutes early and I was 1 hour and 20 minutes late! They were very worried. I was so sorry I had caused such turmoil!
Third, on the way back to Rouen that same trip, the van kept
loosing power. The driver would stop and start it again. It would be good for a
bit and then loose power again. We managed to get to a rest stop, but one with toilet
facilities only (at least there was that) – no food or drinks. It was a while before it was decided that the
owner would come to get us – a 2 ½ hour trip from Rouen. Before he arrived, a
tow truck arrived to pick up the broken down van and the driver, leaving seven
of us stranded for a time.
The owner arrived later in very good time – 9:00 p.m. (about 2
hours) and brought us back. It was after 11:00 p.m. by the time I was dropped
off at the school and then walked 10 minutes home.
Fourth, since last Friday the internet connection has been acting
up. It kept throwing me out of sites and
asking me to sign in again. Very frustrating. I could view a page or two and
then I’m out again. I had no email access for a week.
Finally, the weekend past I was set to do my laundry. I was
shown the laundry room earlier in the week and was told the wash is 3€50 and the dryer is 2€ (that’s right - over $8.00 per
load). When I went to do my laundry with a handfull of change, I discovered the
machines only took 50¢ pieces
and I only had 3€ worth – short
5. I needed to find change. Thinking of going out to the shopping area, I had
no clean jeans or socks. I couldn’t wear my sandals because I developed 2 big
blisters walking in them all day at Mont St-Michel. The only pants I had to
wear were my dress pants and and newish top. I put on a pair of sock pulled from
the laundry basket and went out to find some change. I walked by a laundromat,
but it didn’t have a change machine and the cost for a wash was higher than at
my apartment. I decided to head to the shopping area to see if there was
someplace I could go. The trouble was it was a holiday (Pentecost) and almost
everything was closed
As I walked by the church, I saw someone going in. I thought
the Mass had already taken place and I wasn’t sure I would get to another one.
I went in and the place was full. The priest was explaning something to the
congregation and afterwards two families came up with children to be baptized.
Turns out the Mass had just started and I had only missed out a few minutes at
the beginning. At that moment, I had an overwhelming feeling that although there
was very little I had control over this week, God was watching over me. No
matter what else was happening,
When I had prayed morning prayer earlier that day the line that
stayed with me was the antiphon from the psalm: “how good and gentle is your
spirit in us…” All through the morning I was telling myself how hard it was
going to be to get to church today – I needed to do laundry first…I had to find
change…I had to figure out why my internet wasn’t working… Yet, I was also
aware of subtle suggestions being made – “I can wear this…” “walk to the
shopping centre and see what’s there…” “look a man going into the church…”
“look a mother and her girls going in too…” “perhaps there is a Mass now – even
if I’m late, I can say I made the effort.” So in the end I was ready for church
and only a little late. When the choir started the Gloria and I realized what
had happened, I was overwhelmed. There was such a sense of God’s presence being
with me despite everything else.
Not that God suddenly makes everything right again.
After Mass I went through to the shopping centre but, as I
expected, everything was closed. I walked back and found a boulangerie (bakery)
open so bought something to eat. I asked the clerk if I could have my
change in 50¢ pieces. “For
sure.” Got home. There was only one. Oh well. I got to wash my clothes. After that I hung
them all over the apartment to dry. The internet didn’t work well for the whole
week and there was even trouble at school accessing emails.
Not that God suddenly makes everything right again.
Yet, things eventually come together. Throughout the week I
worked on getting another phone and having it sent to me from Canada. When I
got home last night my internet was up and running again! Yay!!
When I started this sabbatical, I knew that French was not
the only thing I was going to learn. I am also aware of how much I try to stay
on top of things – always prepared – and the false sense of security that
brings. It’s been a good lesson in how much I take for grated. It doesn’t take
much to have that tripped up.
I am also aware of how none of the trials and tribulations
of the week really matter much in the end. As I followed the news of the death
of three RCMP officers and the wounding of two others by a young man,
everything else paled in significance. Also a friend posted that her brother
had died suddenly and last weekend was Bill Corbett’s funeral.
So at the end of the first two weeks in Rouen I am grateful
for this experience and all it will teach me. Learning a new language is very
hard for me. I keep hoping that I wake up one day and will know exactly what
everyone is saying around me. Now I think that won’t happen until I get to heaven. In the
meantime I keep plugging away at the language. I might not learn it perfectly, but there is
something very satisfying about keeping at something until it’s finished.
No, I am not in control over everything, yet good planning and preparation do help. Yet, I have
discovered a persistence, resiliency and resourceflness that serves me well. All good lessons.


Hmmm... interesting series of events and a good learning. Thank goodness your wallet wasn't stolen! I have to say Rouen is quite spectacular and looks very cute. Had no idea that was the Joan of Arc place. Enjoy!
ReplyDeleteI had read a little before about the place, but there is always something new to discover. I hope to explore a little more. I've walked down lots of little side streets. I would love to take pictures of all the different shops, but I'm thinking some people might find that a little too impolite.
DeleteWhy not talk to the shop keepers about your project, and tell them that you want to share with your friends at home how much you're enjoying your stay? Something like, "Je suis Canadienne, et je voudrais partager avec mes amis au Canada mon expérience ici. Est-ce qu ça vous génerait si je prends des photos pour mon site blog? Je trouve votre magasin si ....joli, unique, intéressant" (choose one ...)
ReplyDeleteUne bonne idee, merci. Quand j'ai eu mon telephone cellular, c'etait facile prendre les photo discretement, mais pas maintenant.
Delete