I purchased symphony tickets for two different concerts: "Je voudrais un billet pour deux concerts, svp."
March 19 le Orchestre Symphonique de Québec is playing a selection from Strausse. On the 26th the concert is "tradition et modernité": Schubert, Mozart, Beethoven and Matthias Pintscher (who is also the guest conductor). The pianist that evening is Nareh Arghamanyan. I googled her and she's amazing.
I also made a purchase at the bakery: "Je voudrais...."
And the library (bibliothèque): "Qu'est-ce j'ai besoin pour une carte de bibliothèque? (what do I need for a library card?)
The library (bibliothèque) is not to be confused with the "librairie" (bookstore): "Avez-vous un dictionnaire visuel, svp?"
These are my newest acquisitions.
I love the dictionary. We use one like it in class all the time.
Some of these excursions were with Emilie, one of my instructors: post office, drug store, library, coffee shop, bakery). It was an opportunity to take what I've been learning in class and apply it in the real world. Emilie was beside me the whole time ready to pitch in when I got stuck -- which I did, especially at the library. I have a hard time understanding what is being said back, especially if the person speaks quickly - which most do. I often start the conversation with the phrase "
“J’apprends le français maintenant..." (I'm learning French now) so they don't automatically switch into English. Usually the person slows down and smiles. They are very happy to hear someone learning their language.
I also joined the choir at St. Roch's parish. Last Sunday Sister Josee invited me again to join and I said yes. The practices are Wednesday evening. The group is very friendly and were happy to welcome me in. A couple speak English but everything is in French - the songs, the directions, the conversation. I watch (regarder), listen (écouter) and do the same as everyone else (le même chose a tout le monde). I had a conversation in French with one of the choir members after Mass today about learning French and Mom's family landing in Quebec City in the 1600's. It was wonderful. It wasn't perfect French, but she understood what I was saying. She also said my pronunciation and accent were very good. "Merci, beaucoup!"
Speaking of St. Roch - there was yellow tape on the sidewalk the other day. Falling ice off the roof. A group went up to clean things up a bit.
The back yard at my apartment is the same. More snow every day.
Students have an opportunity to get together Thursday night for happy hour somewhere. This week four of us went out: Keyla (Brazil), Andre (Brazil) and Deanne (Windsor). A different pub is chosen each week. The conversation is in French. We laugh a lot and communicate quite well.
There are a lot of different breweries here. This beer had a hint of cloves in the taste - very nice.
Deanne came over to my apartment on the weekend to work on homework together. We spoke French for most of the time - with an English word here and there. After our work was done, we had a conversation in English. She's a teacher and she is loving it here. She wants to be able to each in the French immersion school or the francophone school district. She will be here until either April or May and is preparing to take more classes over the summer in Windsor. She's realizing just how long it takes to learn a language.
Me too. I watched a very interesting TEDx lecture on how to learn a language in six months. He had 5 principles and 7 steps. It boils down to being motivated enough and using the new language from day one in real conversations. He tells the story of a young woman who learned English and scored high marks in school, but when she went to the U.S. she couldn't understand a word that was being said to her. There is a big difference between memorizing words and phrases (which is very important) and having a conversation. I know what I want to say and I get the words out, but understanding what they are saying back is a different ballgame.
I think I'm at level A1in terms of speaking (which is up from A0!) and expect to be at this level for a while yet. There are no formal tests - but you can ask to prepare for one of the standardized testing programs (DELF/DALF). I booked that exam in France for September.
Lent starts this week. I don't watch TV for Lent, but I will have to work in an exemption for the French lessons I watch on line. I'm sure God won't mind. The more I hear the language at a speed I can understand it, the better it is for me.
C'est magnifique!












Bravo Dear sister :) !! you put a smile on my face when you share your stories :D !
ReplyDeleteit seems like you are worlds away...and only in Canada :) keep up your wonderful motivational ways. and all the F-U-N you are having <3 Love and hugs K
Thanks, sweetie :-)
DeleteWay to go! You do look like you're in a different country - all that snow! I foresee the moment when you write a whole blog in French!
ReplyDeletepas encore. I do try to write a few lines in French every day in my journal. It will be interesting after I know what I'm doing to go back and re-read the first entries. Un jour a une fois.
Delete