There are a lot of comings and goings these days. I went for
a stroll in the old city and saw signs of a few things to come:
There is also a Red Bull Crashed Ice context next weekend. A crew
was putting together the stage and track.
According to the Red Bull web site the track starts further
down the old city and it goes over walls, around corners and includes a 9 foot
gap here by the finish line. The race itself reminds me of roller derby – but
on ice.
At school there are comings and goings as well. Two new
students came to the “5-7” (cinq à sept) pub night. One is a teacher from
Windsor and the other a doctor from San Francisco. Both are on vacation for the
week and decided to spend it here. We also met the new director of the school
on Friday. I think there was some kind of shake-up in the administration. Some
of our class times might change as well a shift within the classes.
A few classmates said “au revoir” this week. Luciola (centre)
went back to Brazil on Monday. She hopes to immigrate to Canada in a
year’s time or so.
A sign of that appeared this weekend. One of the reasons I came to Quebéc was because Mom’s family
settled here from Normandy. They were looking for a new life, too. Walking down
an unfamiliar street I came across this place.
Notre Dame Basilica is marking this 350th
anniversary with a series of event – one of them being the installation of a
“holy door” this past December. I have been in the church a couple of times,
but never looked for the door until yesterday.
There is a simple “garden” leading to the door – pictures of
different virtues to meditate on before entering the door.
On the other side of the door is another series of images.
(For those who don’t know what a reliquary is, it is a small
container that holds something from a holy person as a perpetual reminder of
them). Two plaques listed the names of some of the people connected to this area
and I suspect that some of their relics are on display.
I have spent time watching tutorial lessons on the internet
– on TV5 Monde. There are different levels of study with a large variety of lessons. Each lesson contains a
video clip and different exercises. Again the most difficult part is understanding
the spoken word. I replay the videos over and over again to get the sense. There
is a written transcript as well when I really can’t figure it out.
Being here is the best way for me to learn the language.
Being surrounded by all things French and with people who really want to learn
and others who really want us to succeed it a great blessing. A good week.
















well well well susan! Another wonderful read. thank you. i really like your comments..and the one referring to mom :) your temporary home has a a great mixture of people, events, food, beautiful surroundings and Demer's history. so good. i can only say "good for you" :) i chuckled about your Lenten observation change :) stay well love k
ReplyDeleteA week from now you will be HOME! I bet it feels like you have been in another world. Such an amazing opportunity to be in Canada, yet a different Canadian experience. The world IS at your fingertips :) SO very proud of you Susan. YOur blogs have helped me understand so much more...(not so much the French language :D !) yet the diversity when a person is open to learning more. Have you ever thought to become a journalist??? Yes, I know you have been published in many newspapers and magazine...you could reach so many more of us that limit our understanding in worlding issues... Well done my adventourist sister..."tourist" sister. Call me when you are home :) Happy packing! Love, K
ReplyDelete