Family

Family
Familles Demers: De Mers! De Foi! De Fidelite!

Sunday, 23 March 2014

The Symphony

It was my first visit to the symphony and it didn’t disappoint.
The Québec Symphony Orchestra is marvelous! This concert included selections from Strauss: Feuersnot (Symphonic Poem), Concerto no. 2 for French Horn, and Don Quixote. For the first and last pieces they were joined by some members of two different music schools: the Conservatory of Music and the faculty of music at Laval for two of the selections

I watched some of the younger members with their mentors. It was interesting to see some of the interactions. All the musicians were first rate.

The conductor, Fabien Gabel, met with a group of us before the concert to give some of the background to the composer and the pieces. I’m sorry to say that I did not understand all that much. I did catch that some of it was about some of the future productions.

One thought I had during the concert was to pay attention to what was happening. One of the reasons I love going to the symphony is that I am fascinated by watching people make this music: facial expressions, movements, rituals. It adds a whole other dimension to the concert. I remember thinking – this might be the only time I hear this particular piece – savor it.

I was fascinated by the walls of the theater. It was built in the late 60’s – early 70’s. I would love to have an explanation of the murals. The pictures don't do justice to the expanse of the mural.
 

 
They were created by Jordi Bonet. The overall theme of the three walls is life, death and liberty.
 

I read that this particular section caused a scandal at the time.

The translation means: “Aren’t you sick of dying, you gang of idiots? Enough!” – apparently it comes from a poem.

Before the concert I had a wonderful Italian dinner at La Scala Trattoria. It was my first time trying gnocchi (little pasta pillows made with potato). They were wonderful – very light with spinach in a creamy blue cheese sauce. Everything is home made at this restaurant. I had their Tiramisu for dessert – just the right touch for the end of the meal. (I’m postponing Lent on concert nights.)

For choir practice this week we reviewed some of the songs we will be singing for the Triduum. I took pictures of the music and recorded the pieces with my phone (I love this phone!).

I was also given the music for Mozart’s Ave verum corpus. I found it on youtube so I am ready to sing with the choir.

The choir members are mostly older men and women. They love to sing and have been together for a long time. They are very welcoming and appreciate my efforts to speak in French. It is a very casual relationship we have – I’m only here for a few months, but at the same time I am mindful that this is a precious time. I am connecting with real people who show an interest in me. I saw the same thing on the stage between the young musicians and the more experienced professional musicians. To be seen and made to feel that you mattered. It is a gift – at any age. I kept that in mind when I talked to Mom this week.

Another good week.

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a wonderful experience. And the artwork looks funky too! I gave Olive your blog address... see if she will take a peek!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was. I enjoy classical music and wanted to go at least once or twice while I'm here. And it makes me forget that there is 10 feet of snow out my window. :-)

      Delete
    2. Noooo... 10 feet of snow??? We have... er... daffodils... don't read little bear's blog!!

      Delete
    3. In my back yard, yes. The city does a very good job cleaning streets and sidewalks after every snow storm. The snow from the parking lot at the apartment is blown into the back yard. There is a path carved through it to get to the parking lot. I've seen little bear's blog! He would still be sleeping away here thinking that it was still winter.

      Delete