This is my last week in Quebec City. I decided to play the tourist this weekend and see a few of the sights on my list.
The first was the Museum of Fine Arts.
Impressive from the outside, the inside had a few interesting features I wasn't expecting.
Turns out the building is an old jail.
All the space is put to good use. Several jail cells are used for art exhibits.
This series is entitled "alienation" - fitting
There were two exhibits I wanted to see. The first was a series of works by Jean-Paul Riopelle.
Incredible. I was quite taken by the moods and textures in these pieces. This one is a large canvas entitled "Spain." It is quite something to see "in person."
A few others I liked: The first is called "The Green Parrot." I think it must be like the "where's Waldo" series.
The other is ink on paper. This is a portion of it.
The other artist was Jean Paul Lemieux.
I have often seen prints of his work. He has a very distinctive style. This one is entitled Julia and the Universe.
The Ursulines and The Village Meeting depict every sights and sounds in the city.
As in many places, the church and all its celebrations were the center of life. This is a detail in a larger work. I walked down that particular street.
There was an exhibit also by Alfred Pellan. I did not know anything of his work, but I quite liked a few of the pieces.
The works are entitled: Blue Garden, Canada West and Man and Woman.
The final exhibit I viewed was Bill Vazan. He had a series of works entitled The XXth Centure. Ten canvases what are made up of date stamps. Quite imaginative.
I found my birthdate in the 1950's painting.
I also went to the Museum of Civilization. Unfortunately, there were no cameras allowed. I spent over 4 hours in just two rooms: the history of Quebec and a new exhibit on the First Nations and Innu. Both very informative and well done.
Walking near my apartment one day was another sight at the top of a hotel. Look up...way up..
I watched several people "walk" down the side of the hotel. Quite the feat.
Walking in the old city, I found another building that had been painted on the side. It includes many of the figures of the city's history.
And, look! Is that what I think it is??
Crocuses! They are going out of the site of an excavation. I looked for more evidence of spring, but that was the extent for now.
I wanted to go one more time to the house that my mother's family built. I found a print that I will give her - I think she will be tickled to have it.
I went back to the little shop once more and had a side of fries and this time took them up to the 2nd floor and ate them at a common table and looked out the window. How many Demers' ate here in the day? Incredible to think of it.
I almost missed the plague on the building:
This week it is packing up, cleaning up and finish off everything I need to. Most of the things I bought will be going to another student who just changed residences and needs a few things. I haven't heard anything on the visa front. I'm hoping no news is good news.
I have so many good memories of Quebec. I have learned a lot and met some wonderful people. I would come back in a heart beat.





























Nice paintings! It's hard to believe your Quebec time is over already. And crocuses too - beautiful! Rumour has it that dandelions are coming up in PG (something to look forward to!).
ReplyDeleteI am looking forward to going home and touching base before heading out again. Here in Quebec today was the first day I went out without a coat - only a hoodie. Spring has officially arrived.
Delete