Family

Family
Familles Demers: De Mers! De Foi! De Fidelite!

Saturday, 4 January 2014

Made it!

January 1st

Happy New Year! Lurana was a kind soul and drove me to the airport and I had to have a picture with the PG bear. Looks like he wants something Lurana has.


All the flights were good and on time. On two of the flights I had two seats to myself (this one was even the emergency exit row so there was lots of room to stretch out.


I arrived in Quebec City ahead of schedule, but unfortunately my luggage did not. It arrived the next morning. I stayed at the Best Western - Centre Ville. I chose that hotel because it was only 2 1/2 blocks from my studio apartment.

January 2nd

Once the luggage arrived I was on my way (two trips from the hotel because I couldn't quite manage it in one with all the snow). The property manager gave me directions on how to access the apartment up the exterior back staircase.


He said the door would be unlocked....it wasn't. I had to call him (I love my new cell phone!) and wait while he figured out how to get me in (did I mention it was -29?). Next thing I hear is the door opening from the inside - he called one of the other tenants to open the door from the inside.


The apartment is pretty well what I expected from the pictures on the website. It is basic. It is on the top floor of the house so there is no one living above me. It has a little window on the opposite wall as well that lets in a little light. You can tell that this apartment was added afterwards. The exposed wall shows the roof line of the original house.


I noticed a couple of things about the apartment - It is quiet. There isn't a lot of traffic. Many of the streets in this area are very narrow and one-way. The building is old - staircases are narrow and steep (carting groceries, household items, etc. gives you a workout). One sight made me pause. I wonder what happens if I blow a breaker?

The apartment is in the Saint Roch district. It used to be an industrial area of Quebec City but more recently there has been efforts to revitalize the district. I saw lots of interesting shops along the way and can't wait to explore them. Everything is really close by (school - 3 blocks; church 3 blocks; grocery store 5 blocks). I visited the school (Bouchereau Lingua International - BLI) and met two of the women I have been corresponding with. There are other new students starting the same time I am on Monday.

January 3rd

I shopped for some household items. I found an app that downloaded all the transit information - bus numbers, routes, schedules. Amazing.


I have found all the people very friendly and helpful. One shopkeeper said my "bonjour" didn't have an accent so he thought I was French! I have had many friendly encounters - even if the person speaks little or no English. One young man offered to carry one of my bags on my way home (let me tell you that Target bags are more durable than Sears bags). I am so looking forward to my studies here.

January 4th

Today it is -20 with light snow. We are not getting the blizzard conditions in some parts of Eastern Canada. At least not yet. I'm off to explore some more!















5 comments:

  1. A cell phone AND a blog!! Wow!! And snow too by the looks of it. Do you have roommates? How did they open the door for you? Or is there a common landing? Is that wooden wall insulated?? Why are there kitchen cupboards in front of the breaker panel?? Hmmmm.... me thinks you are in the deepest darkest corner of Planet Q!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aunty Susan this is great!!!! I am so happy for you!! Looks like a neat apartment, lofty looking? Cant wait to read more :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa. It is a great location. Can't wait to take pictures of the area and post them.

      Delete
  3. No roommates. Not sure how the fella got in, perhaps the wrong door was left open for me. The wooden wall is not cold, so it must be insulated. Original planks me thinks. I was wondering about the cupboards in front of the breaker panel as well. Might be a case of the right hand not knowing what the left hand was doing? Or getting a contractor like Mike Holmes warns you about? There's lots to like about the location though - Planet Q as in Quebec?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep... you are in a different world I think! It looks cozy and as long as you don't throw any breakers, you should be good! Hope they left you a snow shovel for the stairs... Can't wait to see pics of your area...

      Delete