Family

Family
Familles Demers: De Mers! De Foi! De Fidelite!

Monday, 13 January 2014

Saint-Roch Parish

Today is the first week of Ordinary Time, so I better post my Christmas pictures of the churches I've been to.

I've been to the parish twice now. It is only two blocks away. My first weekend here was the feast of the Epiphany and yesterday was the feast of the Baptism of the Lord. The church was decorated for the holidays.

 
The sanctuary area is turned into a huge crèche and people mill about looking at all the figures. There was a young mom there describing all the figures to her little one.


There was lots for little kids to look at. It reminded me a bit of Lurana's Christmas village scene.


The church is old - built between 1914 and 1923 or so. The interior is very dark with the stained glass windows bringing in a subdued light.


 
Everything is very ornate. I like the front piece on the altar. The carving throughout the church is quite something.


(anybody notice the poinsettia's on the altar? :-)) The sanctuary behind is where the Blessed Sacrament is reserved. Even though it is ornate and imposing, the crèche and the fact that people are free to go in and out of the sanctuary doesn't make it as "hands-off" as you see in some places:


The Mass is celebrated in French (duh! I think there is only one parish in Quebec City that celebrates in English). I have an app that gives me the readings etc in French as well as English. I noticed a few things that were different than what we normally do. There is an organ prelude before Mass and interlude for the preparation of the gifts and communion. There is also an organ processional at the end of Mass rather than a closing hymn. People just leave, chat with neighbors, speak with the priest - very informal.

There is a small (and older) choir that sings the opening hymn, psalm, communion hymn and the acclamations. The congregation, not so much. One, we don't have the words to whatever the choir is singing and there are no books in the pews. Some of the acclamations are known by heart so I can hear a few voices in the congregation, but for the most part we are silent.

 The collection is taken up during the preparation of the gifts which means the ushers are busy about their task while the Eucharistic Prayer is started. We kneel for the words of institution only. Everyone joins in the final doxology (through him with him....). The priest offers the sign of peace to the congregation. Communion is under one form only.

I introduced myself to the pastor last week and told him how long I was here. He was very welcoming. I'm not sure I'm ready to join the choir quite yet.

I also visited Notre Dame Cathedral. The Archbishop of Quebec City was just named Cardinal. The Church is very beautiful inside, although I find it a little too grand for my liking.


The altar is a little hidden by all the poinsettias. They are even on the altar.

The church is named Notre Dame and so Mary figures prominently:


 Jesus is there too. Look up....way up!


I would like to visit a few more of the churches while I'm here. I love the sense of history and the story of faith they tell, even if I'm not enamoured with the style.

10 comments:

  1. Fossils?? Fossils?? Where'r the fossils??? Sounds like the liturgy is a bit different than PG... hmmm... the churches look very... European and a tad baroque... lots of gold and curlicues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked for the fossils but didn't see any at first glance. I didn't want to be too obvious - I will try again. The style is very European. It is a different space to pray in, for sure.

      Delete
    2. Hmmm... fossils are shy you know... you have to hunt and search for them sometimes! Although Lonely Planet says the fossils are very faint... they are in the limestone from which the church is made... it's from SK apparently!

      Delete
    3. I saw that, too. I will have to look again -- or maybe ask one of the local if they have seen any.

      Delete
  2. WOW..whats ON the altar???????????????

    LOVE the pictures...I love the GRANDness of it all...ummmm the windows are wonderful!....Maybe you will learn French faster if you join the choir! :)

    Still miss you lots


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought you might pick up on that....and in BOTH churches, so it is not unique to one. I'll see what ordinary time looks like. About the choir...I think I will wait a bit. I will do what I can (which is not much) from the pew.

      Delete
  3. exceptional photos susan! reminded me of being back in Belgium with you :) certainly sounds like your experiences are amazing :) thanks for the updates..and as we were told during our sign language classes...practice practice practice :) take care...Love k

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been practicing LOTS! I even make up things for me to do. I told one of the shop keepers tonight that I'm here to learn French and that in a month I will be able to speak to her in French (optimistic aren't I?)

      Delete
  4. Optimistic AND realistic :) You say it; You do it. :) and <3 to you

    ReplyDelete