I started classes on Monday at Bouchereau Lingua International in Quebec.
There are 16 new students and a total of 23 students at BLI, most from Latin America (mainly Brazil). Because the introductions were in French, I didn't quite catch where everyone was from - but I also heard Columbia, Switzerland and the United States. I met two students from Canada (one from Vancouver and the other from Toronto).
We are divided into classes according to our ability. There are six different levels: I am in level zero - so the only place to go is up! In the morning there is a general French class and in the afternoon a skills class with attention given to pronunciation, reading, oral and written comprehension.
There are only two of us in each of my classes. Shirlei (pronounced kind of like Shirley) and I share the morning class. Genevieve is our instructor. Yasmin and I share the afternoon class. Sylvie is our instructor here. Both students are from Brazil. It is a real treat to have such a small class. It is one-on-one instruction for sure.
This is Shirlei - she is a nurse from Salvador. Our conversation are very (very) short (Bonjour - ca va?...)
The instruction is all in French. Our responses are all in French. The students speak to each other in French in the student lounge. I understand hardly a word, but sometimes catch the gist. The instructors are very patient and work with what we say.
Thursday night is pub night for the students. I didn't go to the first one but will go to some of the others. There are lots of things to do while in Quebec:
I plan on going back to the old city this weekend. The ice hotel just opened up and I will definitely take a trip there at some point. The weather is suppose to warm up a bit. (Or maybe not - I just checked the weather and they are anticipating more freezing rain on Saturday.) I love it that I thought to bring my Yaktrax (ice grips). Some of the students in class asked where I bought mine (PG). There happens to be a MEC (Mountain Equipment Co-op) just down the street from here so Shirlei bought a set for herself.
The school is not very big. As I mentioned earlier, it is a set of rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor of an older building. The classes are small because most of the time there are only a few students in each level of studies. That is very good because you really get to match your ability with the instructor. There is a room for students to have lunch. It's not pretty but we aren't here very long:
I am only a 5 minute walk from the school, but I have my lunch here when I have an afternoon class. Each week a new schedule is posted. I expect I will be at the same level for the next while. Shirlei will be in Quebec for the next six months - me for the next four.
So far this week we have covered: the weather (il fait froid), parts of the body, numbers, colours, general personal information (name, address, professions, family), masculine and feminine variations in spelling (canadien, canadienne), the verbs: to be (etre), to have (avoir), to go (aller). In the afternoon class we focused on things related to the restaurant (the menu, ordering, different food items...) I bought a white board so I can practice writing (it reinforces what I am learning) and speaking the words while I write.
I also took out a subscription to Netflix so I can watch French movies. I've seen three so far. All with English subtitles. What is interesting about watching the shows for the dialogue (which I do not understand for the most part, so the subtitles are great!) is seeing the settings in France and how people live. I know you can't judge everything from TV (we don't do that here, do we?) but it does give you a sense of the locale. I also found an internet site for Quebec TV and will catch a few shows there as well. I picked up a food show last night.
What I find the most difficult is understanding what people are saying - which is a normal part of the process. I have a better sense when I read something or see the word written down. I find that even when I am formulating a response, I'm saying in my head - "how would I write that." I'm a visual learner too, which makes the auditory more of a challenge.
I love Google translate! Although it isn't always the best translation, it gives the pronunciation as well. I have an app that does the same. There are so many different resources out there to help anyone learn a language...But as they say, nothing will do the work for you.
Back to studies!




Ah, tres bien! J'ai etude francais dans l'ecole pour cinque ans, mais... je n'utilise pas... et... c'est tres mal maintenant!
ReplyDeleteAnd don't even get me started on trying to remember the spelling or the accents or the verb tenses! I can sort of muddle through reading things but... the speaking... well... it's very very rusty. You'll get the hang of it... But I commiserate with the visual learner aspect... that's me too!
There is a way to turn your English keyboard into a French keyboard (if you bought your laptop in Canada)... I do it by mistake sometimes... It happens if you hit Ctrl Shift at the same time... I remember the common computers at Aulneau always had the French keyboards enabled and I could never find the @ sign!
My keyboard is French/English - it even has the French keys noted with red characters. I will try to get the accents to work in the blog. I might have to write them in Word and then paste them in. I watched a film last night and noticed that I could follow a few more of the words/phrases - partly because it was a drama and so the dialogue was generally slower. It will come, I know.
Deleteway to go Susan. It was wonderful skyping with you the other day! A bonus for sure! :) Immersion is the only way to go...reminds me of the Deaf studies I took. WIshing you continued success ...like you said, the only way you can go is up! Happy venturing in the city that has captured your heart. Stay well <3
ReplyDeleteThanks. Once the ice melts I will be able to walk around more. I spent the weekend working on visual charts and cues for different words. It helps for sure.
Delete