Family

Family
Familles Demers: De Mers! De Foi! De Fidelite!

Friday, 9 May 2014

at 32,000 feet


Flying from Québec City to Prince George. Right now we are crossing near Calagary. No pictures of the flight because I’m in a middle seat. Oh well.

The good news is that while I was waiting for my flight to leave Montréal, I checked my messages and read one from the French Consulat saying that my visa application was approved!! Yippee! I was sitting in the plane at the time and said out loud “thank you Lord.” Didn’t care what my two seat mates thought of that. They are sending what I need back to Prince George - i will find out whether it is for the full six months or they will limited it to the end of October, when my course is finished.

This weeks was full of good byes. Lucie and I had a final visit. She was so very hospitable. She invited me to so many different gatherings. She works in area of restorative justice and is involved in the work of reconciliation.  

 
One of my last classes. The students are from Brazil, Korea, and Switzerland.

 
My last class with Emilie.

 Maria Theresa, Ingrid and I shared the same class for a few months. Patricia is new the last couple of weeks.

Two very good teachers: Genevieve and Emilie. Genevieve was my first teacher. She was so encouraging. I cried when I said goodbye to her -- and those who know me well, know I don't cry easily.

Emile also was my teacher when I had a few private lessons to work through some topics.  She is very creative.

My certificate:

 I tried three times to get it to go the right way, with no success. I am now at the intermediate level.

My last 5-7 (cinq à sept)

 
About 8:00 I told the group I needed to go and pack. I hadn’t started yet. There were tears and hugs. I met so many interesting people from all over the world. I can’t wait to do the same in France.

Trying to pack it was clear that not everything was going to fit. I had already given away the things I had bought for the apartment – one of the other students was moving into an apartment and could make use of them.

I didn’t realize I had purchased so many other things (think books), but apparently enough to need another suitcase. Trouble was, I didn’t have another suitcase. So I got rid everything I didn’t need: my winter boots, extra clothes and extra supplies such as paper. It’s a good practice round for packing for France. I don’t want to pack more than I can carry. At least I’m packing for the summer and fall in France. Summer clothes take less room.

After just over 4 months studying French I have mixed feelings about my progress. In the beginning it seemed that every week I was learning so much. People commented on how much progress I made in a short period of time, I worked hard. And generally I’m happy with what I can do. I can go into a store, restaurant or bank and manage to ask for what I need. (I found the people very patient and encouraging). Having a real conversation with someone is very different, though. I don’t have enough words and the words somehow don’t come out the way I want (mind you, that happens when I speak English as well).

I struggle thinking in French - or maybe more accurately - thinking things through in a French way. Words are not the issue, it’s the sentences. I thought of Hugo Rahner, brother to the famous theologian Karl Rahner. After reading one of Rahner’s books, Hugo is said to have quipped “I know all the words, it’s the sentences I can’t understand. I understand perfectly. They are constructed differently in French. If I try to translate them (which is deadly and NOT recommended) I turn myself in knots trying to make sense of it.

The theory is one thing, but to make it a natural way of speaking is much more difficult. It will take a lot of practice. Don’t think, just learn the patterns. It’s a bigger project than I anticipated. The instructors at the school still say that I have made great progress. I will have to trust that and just keep working through the rest. I am so grateful to have another few months to spend at this full time.
 
Home again tonight!
 

 

3 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Good for you!! Sounds like you've had an awesome time. And just think... I took 5 years (FIVE) of French in high school and was probably where you are at right now. It will come... and France will help. If you took the certificate picture as a vertical shot and tried to rotate it to be landscape... stop. Somehow those smartphone camera pics will always automatically rotate themselves. If that is the problem... not sure that it is... enjoy PG!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Immersion in a culture does make a huge difference. Going to France doesn't seem quite so intimidating now that I can communicate a little. The photo I took in landscape format - it's fine on the computer, but once I try and insert it in the blog or on fb, it turns itself. Weird. This is a busy week with RTS so will have to wait another week before finishing up my travel plans. Two weeks tomorrow and I'm off again!

      Delete
    2. Ah - that was my next question - 2 weeks!! Hope the weather is cooperating up there.

      Delete